Monday, June 20, 2011

Scrabble Tiles!

Pin It I have been wanting to make scrabble tile necklaces FOREVER.  I've had a package of scrabble tiles hanging around for years since I made this (craft fail) door hanger for my husband's office years ago.  (Sweet guy- he used it anyway!)  I figured this project would be the perfect way to use up the extra - as well as some of my super cute papers!  I found a tutorial here and I had some glossy accents and mod podge, so I had everything I needed except... bails.

In my opinion, bails are ridiculously overpriced.  I looked for them EVERYWHERE.  I figured at $1 each at my local bead store was a bit much, but I was wrong.  Even Oriental Trading (remember when they used to be cheaper than other places?) let me down.  I finally bought some at my local craft store using a coupon so that I could finally make some of these. 

A quick note about pricing.  DO NOT buy scrabble tiles on Amazon.  I checked out Amazon thinking I might buy some more, but they are crazy overpriced there!  They want 20 dollars for 100 tiles.  This is more expensive than the entire game!  I saw a comment that suggested buying them directly from Hasbro.  You can get replacement parts for many of their games HERE.  The cost of 100 tiles on their site?  $6.50!!  Plus you get 4 racks and a tile pouch in case you want to craft something with those too.  :)  BTW- I totally am trying to think up some other crafts I can make with board game pieces.  Monopoly money origami maybe?

The fun part of this project was picking out papers.  I found most of the the papers I used in my Christmas/holiday stacks, but there were a few cute finds in the American Girl paper pack as well.  The tutorial tip about making a template card is really helpful & makes the process of picking out papers lots of fun.  I also used the template to trace out the piece I wanted on the back of the patterned paper and then glued the scrabble tile where I had drawn the outline.  That helped me to line up the pictures a lot more accurately.

This was an easy project to do in stages (10 minutes here, 10 minutes there- perfect for toddler watching) but I'd definitely recommend making them in bulk. Don't expect perfection, though.  As with any project, there is a bit of a learning curve.   Several of my tiles have bubbles or mistakes, as you'll see. Anyway, enough talk- here are my finished scrabble tiles!





 Some closeups

 Slightly misaligned- this was before I tried the template technique
 Love this one
 Some mistakes- didn't get the glossy accents right on the top of the polar bear
 Too bad about the bubbles on the owl.  I tried to fix it, but too late.  Too bad, because I love owls.
post signature

24 comments:

  1. too cute! i think you did a fantastic job for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute and adorable, they turned out great! I am now a follower. :)

    Stop by my new craft blog, Made Especially For You. It's still in its early stages but I promise I have many creative ideas for it!

    Ashley
    http://especiallymade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow fab project i love it. I'm your newest follower tina x
    www.scratchycatcrafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little birdie one is SO cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! They look fantastic. Great job! I think I'll give this a shot.

    Please check out my blog if you like at : http://christiescardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com

    I'm just getting started with blogging about my cards and scrapping. Thanks for sharing your great project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these! I would love it if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/06/tuesday-confessional-link-party.html
    ~Macy from Confessions of a SAHM

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are adorable. Great job and great job sourcing the materials. I would be thrilled if you shared this project at my link party.
    http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2011/06/inspiration-board-link-party_28.html

    Thanks for the creative inspiration.
    carolyn | homework

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are AWESOME!!! I would love to know how to make them as gifts for friends for the holidays. So happy you linked it at You Had Me At Craft.

    Have a scrappingly good day!
    Sue B
    http://susanascorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are wonderful. I love the tip. I have been going to garage sales and Goodwill for games. I made a wall hanging with the board and the letters. I showed it on my You Tube channel. I love what you did with the tiles. I need to watch the video.
    So nice to meet you.
    Linda
    http://cardsbylinda.blogspot.com
    You Tube Lindalap

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so cute! I love the owl - sorry about his little bubbles - still cute though. I am following your blog now and would love a follow back if you have a chance. Come see me at www.cookieandclaire.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cute! The little graphics are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great - I am always on the lookout for new uses for Glossy Accents!
    Lowri

    ReplyDelete
  13. I picked up a ton of Scrabble tiles at Goodwill, you've inspired me to start making necklaces.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a good idea! I like the papers you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are really cute! I love to see what all of you creative ladies come up with...I'm a wanna-be crafty lady.
    Stopping by from Amanda's Weekend Bloggy Reading.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  17. So happy that you shared this tutorial and your insights. I have wanted to make these tiles too, but just never got around to learning how. Here's another craft for my list!
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. AH! I'm your new best friend! I love this post and that you can get scrabble tiles from the company! I have been checking out my thriftstore so faithfully and never find a game! Thank you a million ba-zillion times! I am a new follower too. I am having a giveaway right now and would love it if you would stop by!

    Have a great night!

    Kirsten
    www.mushkiloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Go With Hasbro InsteadFebruary 5, 2012 at 2:54 AM

    I have to agree with you... the price that the tiles that these fuggers on amazon are selling is simply CRIMINAL! 40 bucks for the diamond edition as opposed to $5.50? Free enterprise is fine, but this is unconscionable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazon has changed their prices: http://www.amazon.com/Scrabble-Tiles-100-Letter/dp/B003G5R3G0 6.99$ now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I’ve always enjoyed the game Scrabble. The game requires a mixture of vocabulary, strategy, pattern-recognition and luck. I do love your blog, your very artistic and i love on what you have done on it..

    ReplyDelete
  22. I cannot thank you enough for the mention of Hasbro. I've been bidding and losing against people paying FAR too much for these tiles, especially the burgundy color, which are cheaper on Hasbro than the old fashioned plain wooden tiles.

    Thank you ten times over!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not only have Hasbro changed their prices but you're looking at close to $8.00 shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like this concept. I visited your blog for the first time and just been your fan. Keep posting as I am gonna come to read it everyday!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

pin